Thursday, January 26, 2012

Off the Creek is Off and Running in 2012!

The other day, I was talking with a lady who asked me "what do you do?"  I told her I worked for Red Deer County, and my job was to assist farmers, ranchers and other landowners, in doing things to look after their land, their businesses, and the environment.

Like many people, she asked me how that was going...I told her I am continually impressed by the knowledge local landowners have about the environment, their operation, and the interactions between the two.  I gave her some examples of the many actions landowners are taking to benefit the environment.

Since 2006, 56 landowners have completed 75 projects.  The Landowners who completed projects from 2006 to 2010 were recognized with an Emerald Award for their efforts. 

A number of the landowners who completed Off the Creek Projects in 2011 were just recognized as "Watershed Ambassadors" by the Red Deer River Watershed Alliance.  Look to the February edition of the County News, or the next newsletter from the Red Deer River Watershed Alliance, to see who these people are.

Hint: One of these Landowners is highlighted in the last video posted on Off the Creek TV...check it out if you haven't already: Taking Livestock Watering to New Heights

Already in 2012, a riparian fencing project and a winter watering system have been supported by the Off the Creek Program.

2012 is shaping up to be a great year...please encourage any Red Deer County landowner you know, to consider participating in the Off the Creek Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment